Sunday 28 December 2008

The Truth of My Life

Told my brother the truth of my life. Told him I had been using heroin for the last 10 years. The last 20 years give or take a few clean months. My entire adult life.

Told him I had taken the cure and gotten through.

For me. For a life. For an ordinary life. For a future. For an ordinary beautiful future. I told him because he is my blood. I told him because I need him to know I will stand, a human being not an addict.

We held tight, tear stained emotion.

Blood is blood and blood is true and blood runs deep.

He talked with wisdom of his own problems. Problems I was unaware of. He said that help will only get you so far, that you have to take responsibility for the decisions you make. Your decisions set your path and become your life.

Only I can change my mind.

No comments: